ASSISTANT VISUAL ARTIST/EDUCATOR
Part time, Seasonal
Applications accepted through September 20th, 2014 (or until filled)
This is a part-time, seasonal position working with teenagers/young adults for Arts on the Block (AOB). The Assistant Visual Artist/Educator works closely with the Lead Teaching Artist for AOB’s “Pour Your ART Out” PYAO workshop to deliver a high-quality art, job, and life skills training experience to up to 20 high school aged workshop participants (“Apprentice Artists”).
ABOUT ARTS ON THE BLOCK
The mission of AOB is to empower creative youth to imagine and shape fulfilling futures and contribute to the quality of life of their communities. Arts on the Block achieves its mission by providing youth with job readiness skills and experiences through opportunities to work with established artists/mentors on commissioned artwork and entrepreneurial projects.
Please visit www.artsontheblock.com for additional information.
The program will take place at the AOB Studio (4218 Howard Avenue, Suite 3A – Kensington, MD 20895, (240-645-0730) and at a partnering Montgomery County Public High School (TBD).
- Start Date: Immediate (PYAO begins on Saturday, October 11, 2014 and ends on Saturday, March 14, 2015)
- Wednesdays (19) – 3:00 PM to 6:30 PM; Saturdays (20) – 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Must be available for planning sessions, trainings, and staff meetings
Commensurate with experience
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in screening and selection of Apprentice Artists
- With Teaching Artist, design, manage, and document all aspects of program including work flow creation, program budgeting and tracking, and quality control.
- Manage customer relations on commissioned projects.
- With Teaching Artist, develop, refine, and implement project ideas
- Lead arts education and job training exercises
- With Teaching Artist, maintain a safe worksite
- Document daily workshop progress
- Document completed artwork
- Prepare monthly reports and administer Apprentice Artist assessments
- Manage preparations for semi-annual open houses and/or other events
- Train Apprentice Artists to deliver effective presentations
- With AOB staff or volunteers, assist with management of blog and other social media efforts
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Two years of post-secondary education in an arts or education related field.
- Two or more years professional arts experience including participation in local and regional exhibitions
- Two or more years working with a diverse population of high school aged or older youth
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills in working with a diverse population of employees, customers, managers, vendors, partners, and the general public
- Demonstrable business competence including verbal, written, and presentation skills as well as organizational, leadership, and supervisory skills
- Ability to pass conducted Montgomery County criminal background check
DESIRABLE JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate degree or higher in an arts related discipline
- Experience designing and implementing arts curriculum
- Experience with mosaics and other sculptural materials
- Significant experience in the areas of commissioned artwork and public art
- Advancing Youth Development training/certification
- Familiarity with the Washington, DC area arts community and art sites
- Experience creating fliers and other PR materials using Photoshop, InDesign and/or other software
- Competence with both Apple and Microsoft operating systems
- CPR/First Aid certification
- Some Spanish language speaking ability
Please send cover letter, résumé, and three digital images of relevant work.
By email, send to email@example.com and include Assistant Visual Artist/Educator in the subject line.
By regular mail, send to:
Arts on the Block; Attention: Sarah Hurtt; 4218 Howard Avenue, Suite 3A – Kensington, MD 20895
If sending materials by regular mail, submit a CD containing images of relevant work.
For most favorable consideration, applications must be received by 4:59 PM on September 15th, 2014. Applications received after that date will be considered only if position is not yet filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Arts on the Block does not discriminate on the basis ofrace, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.